mrsjaffe14

Just another Edublogs.org weblog

Mathematics

Written by Soham Shah and Bella Fine                                     

In February our class completed our goal of adding and subtracting fractions and mixed numbers. This topic was easy once Mrs. Jaffe helped us think through the equations by proceeding in single steps. One of the many things we got stumped by when we began our journey throughout the world of adding and subtracting fractions was when we had to multiply the fraction’s denominator by the whole number part of the mixed number. Then we had to follow with the next step, adding our product to our numerator (also known to our class as “Swoopy Multiply, then Swoopy Add”!). Once we thought we could do this task independently, Mrs. Jaffe told us to take the Practice Test for that unit, and the following day we took the Topic 7 test for adding and subtracting fractions and mixed numbers. Now we are finishing learning about multiplying fractions and mixed numbers and a handy way to “Cross Simplify” them. We have our test on this topic (Topic 8) later this week.

In February, we have learned many new things in our math class, and we hope to learn more!

5 Responses to “Mathematics”

1. Isabella says:

My practice buddy would tell me I was wrong doing the new expanded form and wanted me to do the old way.

2. jamiejaffe says:

That’s very frustrating! I’ll look at the question in the morning, and we can go over it.
    Mrs. Jaffe

3. Max says:

Hi Mrs. Jaffe, Can I get a copy of the Math Challenge from you tomorrow?

4. jamiejaffe says:

Ugh! I’m so sorry, Max, that I forgot to hand the math challenge out this week AGAIN. Yes, you will give it to you tomorrow.
    Mrs. Jaffe

5. jamiejaffe says:

Ugh! I’m so sorry, Max, that I forgot to hand the math challenge out this week AGAIN. Yes, I will give it to you tomorrow.
    Mrs. Jaffe