mrsjaffe14

Just another Edublogs.org weblog

Happy Weekend and an Update!

on May 22, 2020

Dear Families:

On the eve of a much-deserved long weekend, I wanted to update you on a couple of changes you will see in the ebb and flow of your child’s work.

All this week, we have been working toward an essay-writing assignment that is due next Friday, May 29. The essay topic is to compare and contrast two stories that we have listened to online more than once. Kids have received numerous preparatory materials to support them in completing this assignment. 

In addition, kids have started to plan for a second long-term assignment for which they will make a public service announcement (PSA) on a topic related to health, safety, or the environment. That assignment is due Friday, June 5. I have provided research links for kids to use for fact gathering.

The reason I want you to know this is because your child will have fewer daily assignments that need to be submitted to me. The focus will now be on these two long-term assignments. The exception will be math. I will continue to meet with your child for a math lesson twice a week, and the daily assignments for those lessons will still need to be completed. 

What this means is that kids now have longer stretches of time to work on these two projects, but there is not the same “pressure” of daily deadlines. I’m hoping if you are aware of this, you can check in with your kids and inquire about their progress.

Because the work in the next couple of weeks will be more open-ended, I feel I need to be more available to your kids, as well. Therefore, starting next Tuesday — and until these upcoming two projects are completed — my live office hours will be Monday-Friday, 1:30-3:00. I hope you will encourage your kids to take advantage of my increased availability and check in with me about their essay or their PSA research.

As always, feel free to reach out to me with questions. I hope you all have a lovely weekend!

Regards,

Mrs. Jaffe